Sunday, October 24, 2010

Chapter 2: Goodbye

The ride took several hours, and I stared out the window as we drove away from the city, wondering where I was going, until we pulled through the gate to a large house. It seemed a little out of place to be so far out in a rural setting. We rang the bell and were greeted by a pretty, yet serious looking young lady. Her name was Miss Samantha. As she talked, I curiously glanced from behind my mother’s legs at the lady who would now be a large part of my life. Her hair was dark and I remember noting that she wore shiny shoes. The rest of her outfit was no-nonsense: a tight black skirt and an effeminate white shirt.


“…okay, I just need you to sign these forms, and you’ll be all set Mrs. Manning.”

I tried one last chance, “Mommy, please don’t go! I’ll be good from now on I promise!”

Miss Samantha caught my gaze, “Yes you will young man, from this point on.”

I looked pleadingly back at my mother, who I could see was almost about to break. She wanted to come back and get her little boy.

“Don’t worry Miss Manning, he’s in good hands.”

I saw tears forming in my mother’s eyes, and she handed my suitcase to Miss Samantha.

I started to cry as my mom walked away. Miss Samantha put a soothing hand on my back and guided me in the house.

“It’ll be okay Chris.”

No comments:

Post a Comment